- PCB antenna location checked against enclosure? E.g. Is there a cable
gland or other structure placing more material over antenna?
- PCB antenna has strong ground reference? Most ISM band antenna designs are aperture antennas.
- RF tuning network easily reworkable?
- RF shielding can dimensions checked?
- Analog sensors close to their ADC or buffered soon?
- ADCs on or toward digital part of layout? (ADCs use fast oscillators)
- Feedback dividers accidentally bypassed with capacitor placement?
- Traces have sufficient width for current and allowable temperature rise?
- Sufficient trace spacing for voltage?
- Highest ground currents closest to supply return?
- Via size and count appropriate for current?
- Thermal vias for thermal pads?
- Tenting set appropriately for thermal vias?
- Thermal reliefs disabled for power component pads?
- Separate supply rail traces to multiple regulators?
(TODO: Section needs work)
- Appropriate number and size of vias for current?
- Current / impedance matched? Equal trace widths and via counts?
- Inductors sharing same axis? Can become transformers.
- Power and digital grounds separate (in terms of ground loops)?
- All power components on same side?
- Current loop area minimized? Stray inductances minimized?
- FETs and inductors close?
- Switch node ringing requires dampening?
- Electrolytics will remain cool? Electrolytics on "bottom" of convection volume?
- Output/bulk capacitor terminals tied as close as possible to low-side FET?
- Gate drive signals short and thick?
- Feedback trace thick and clear of other noisy signals? (gates and boost nodes)
- Minimum voltage ripple required by controller met?
- Control circuitry away from the noisy end of the switch node? (Buck:
Vin side, Boost: Vout side)
Legend / Silkscreen
- Check fab silkscreen DPI? Can legend be printed clearly?
- Ticks every 10 or 25 pins for high-ish pin count ICs?
- Pin-1 indicator visible after component is placed on board?
- Power pins labeled with polarity and voltage ranges?
- Connector pinouts printed on both sides of board and mirrored? (if two-sided silkscreen)
- Part number, revision number, date code present?
- Serial number blank window required?
- Legend references all facing one or two directions (not four)?